When Obama's motorcade passed Aftonbladet reporters on E4 were television cameras out .
A clear sign that the cars have jamming equipment installed.
But it is illegal under Swedish law.
When Obama's motorcade of over 30 cars whizzed past Aftonbladet TV crew out on E4 roared image for a few seconds . It was the same when Obama was on the way up to the castle earlier this morning - the connection to the reporters and photographers who were there were temporarily out .
According to Urban Landmark , Head of Spectrum Department of Post and Telecom Agency may well move on jammers.
- Sent your camera via video link ? It sounds reasonable that it could be a jammer , he says.
Outputs disturb mat
A jammer can work in two ways, either as misleads the radio signals or so blocks it simply all communication by adding a so-called disturbance carpet. In this case, the indications are that Obama's convoy made use of the latter type .
- In Afghanistan , I know that some nations have used this type of equipment to prevent remotely triggered bombs to detonate. It creates a bubble around the vehicles in the convoy by disrupting radio communications , says Johan Falk , head of the unit for electronic warfare systems on FOI.
Illegal in Sweden
The only problem with this equipment is that it is illegal in Sweden . Not even the police may use it without special permission from the National Post and Telecom Agency.
- We can give exemptions from the ban but here we have not received any application related to Obama's visit to do. Perhaps it is the Foreign Ministry that has approved the said Urban Landmark.
But the State Department is not aware of any dispensation.
- No, we can not issue any such permit . It's a police matter , says Karin Nylund on MFA's press service.
But when asked SAPO will grind to a halt .
- What I can say is that you follow Swedish law. More I can not comment on the grounds that not disclosing the security around the visit, says Sirpa Franzén, press officer at SAPO .
Can knock out electronics
According to the National Post and Telecom Agency , a powerful jammers knock out all electronics within a radius of tens of meters , but most devices today have built-in protection against interference.
- Theoretically, a jammer able to beat out the washing machine at home , a pacemaker or even a car. If you have just enough power to disrupt the signal so , says Urban Landmark.
Whether Obama's equipment was approved or not covered , however, the president of diplomatic immunity during his visit to Sweden , any legal penalties are not to be expected.
Somali news leader