The Israeli army shot dead a Palestinian teenager in the West Bank on Wednesday, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
Sixteen-year-old Said Youssef Muhammad Oudeh “succumbed to his serious injuries caused by live bullets” fired by Israeli forces in the northern Odla area near Nablus, the ministry added.
The Palestinian Red Crescent confirmed to have recovered the body of a young man.
It said another young man was injured in the shots and hospitalized.
The Israeli army, contacted by AFP, said Molotov cocktails were thrown at soldiers “during a routine operation south of Nablus.”
“The soldiers tried to stop the suspects by opening fire on them,” the military said, adding that no soldiers had been injured and that the incident would be investigated.
The Israeli military launched a massive manhunt in the northern West Bank this week in search of a Palestinian who shot three Israelis on Sunday, including a 19-year-old who died of his injuries on Wednesday, according to Israeli news reports.
The shooter fled after opening fire on a bus station at the Tapuah intersection south of Nablus.
Israeli security forces said a suspect identified as 44-year-old Montasser Shalabi was arrested on Wednesday in Silwad village near Ramallah, adding that he was not a member of a “terrorist” organization.
Palestinian sources said Shalabi is a dual US citizen.
The Israeli army has occupied the West Bank, a Palestinian territory, since 1967.
About 2.8 million Palestinians live in this area, as well as about 475,000 Israelis who live in settlements that are considered illegal under international law.