Madrid, Barca and Juventus defend the Super League project while UEFA is demanding millions in fines

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus defended the aborted Super League project on Saturday in the face of “threats” from UEFA.

The three clubs are the only ones out of the original 12 that have yet given up on the proposed competition that would ensure founders’ involvement every season, rather than having to qualify.

The nine outgoing clubs – Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan – were fined Friday by UEFA for their involvement.

UEFA also said it would take “appropriate action” against the three clubs that continue to support the Super League project.

In response, Real, Barça and Juventus said in a joint statement, “the founding clubs have suffered and continue to suffer from unacceptable pressure (and) threats from third parties.”

“This is unacceptable under the rule of law,” they added in a joint statement.

They said the Super League was launched “with the aim of providing solutions to the current unsustainable situation in the football industry”.

The Super League was announced on April 18, but it collapsed two days later as the six Premier League clubs withdrew after furious protests from supporters and pressure from the British government.

Real, Barça and Juventus argued that they and the nine clubs that withdrew “shared the same concerns … that structural reforms are indispensable to ensure that our sport remains attractive and survives in the long term”.

They said they were “fully aware of the diversity of responses to the Super League” and “ready to consider the proposed approach if necessary.”

But they added: ‘We would be most irresponsible if, aware of the needs and the systems crisis in the football industry that led us to announce the Super League, we abandoned such a mission to provide effective and sustainable answers. on the existential questions that threaten the football industry. ”

The nine clubs that left the project on Friday agreed to forgo five percent of their revenues from UEFA competitions for one season and together make a 15 million euro ($ 18.25 million) donation to support grassroots and youth football. Support Europe.

They pledged to “take all possible steps” to end their participation in the leading group and agreed to participate in UEFA competitions for which they were eligible. They also agreed to pay 100 million euros fines if they ever attempted to play in an “unauthorized” match.

Real, Barcelona and Juventus said: “We regret that our friends and founders of the Super League project are now in such an inconsistent and contradictory position when they signed a number of pledges to UEFA yesterday.”

The fallout from the Super League collapse last week led to Manchester United supporters storming into Old Trafford to stage a protest against the club’s American owners, the Glazer family. The protest resulted in the postponement of United’s Premier League match against Liverpool.

>> ‘The ultimate betrayal’: fans smother the creation of the European Super League

(AFP)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More