The trial of jihadist attacks in Paris was put on hold after the main suspect captured Covid

The trial of Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the November 2015 Islamist attack that killed 130 people in Paris, and others will be briefly suspended in January when Abdeslam has caught the corona virus, a legal source told Reuters on Friday.

The criminal trial will resume as planned on January 4 but will then be officially suspended until January 13, the source said. The French news agency AFP previously reported on the planned suspension, citing an email sent to the parties by the president of the court.

Abdeslam, 31, is considered by prosecutors to be the only surviving member of the Islamic State cell that carried out the attacks with weapons and bombs on bars, restaurants, the Bataclan concert hall and the Stade de France stadium on November 13, 2015.

>> France honors victims on the sixth anniversary of the terrorist attacks in Paris

The trial, which began in September in a specially designed courtroom in Paris’ historic Palace of Justice, is one of the most complex – and most closely followed – in modern French history.

No verdict is expected until May 2022.

(REUTERS)

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More